The ACG is delighted to host this event in Perth again. It has been more than a decade since it was last held in Western Australia.
Past symposia have been held in:
- Seville, Spain, 2018
- Cape Town, South Africa, 2015
- Brisbane, Australia, 2013
- Vancouver, Canada, 2011
- Santiago, Chile, 2009
- Perth, Australia, 2007
- Cape Town, South Africa, 2006
Professor Phil Dight
Professor of Geotechnical Engineering
Australian Centre for Geomechanics, The University of Western Australia
Phil has been involved with the development and design of ground support for mining applications since 1975. Phil joined the ACG in 2008 and has since been working on stress memory effects in rocks, ground support applications, slope stability problems (including the use of microseismicity to understand failure mechanisms), and 3D rock properties. In 2017, Phil commenced a four year MRIWA project aimed at investigating the issues of strainburst vulnerability in underground mines.
Open Pit Mines
Western Australian open pit mining operations include:
- Boddington Gold Mine – gold and copper mine near Boddington, WA
- Rosemount Gold Mine – Regis Resources Ltd located in Garden Well, WA
- Super Pit – gold mine near Kalgoorlie, WA
- Telfer Mine – gold and copper mine in the Pilbara, WA
- Tropicana Gold Mine – AngloGold Ashanti located northwest of Kalgoorlie, WA
Iron ore mines in the Pilbara include BHP, RioTinto, FMG, and Roy Hill.
There are also many mining companies headquartered in Perth.